Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chole (Garbanzo bean medley)

This week I'm visiting my parents, who live in Little Rock, Arkansas; I got the chance to visit and some nice QT with them so I decided to take advantage of it.  One of the things that typically takes place every time I go home is that my mom takes over all of the cooking duties and I get to help clean. But this weekend, I wanted her expertise in some good ole fashioned Indian meals so I convinced her to let me cook.  For today's recipe, I decided to make Chloe, which is chick peas cooked in a tomato based sauce.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ingredients:
1 can chick peas (15 oz can)
1/2 can tomato sauce ( about 8 oz)
1 TBSP EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1 TBSP crushed jalapeno
1 tsp chole/ chana masala (found at the local Indian store)
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp sugar
1 bay leaf
One roma tomato diced
Salt to taste
Cilantro to garnish

Directions:
Heat oil on a medium to medium to low heat.
Add crushed jalapeƱo, bay leaf, and tomato and saute for a minute or two.
Add tomato sauce and the remaining spices.  
Add chick peas and cook for about 15 minutes. 
Enjoy with naan, wheat tortillas, or rice.  


No comments:

Post a Comment