Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cucumber Mint Tea Sandwiches

I absolutely love mint and anything that has anything to do with mint! This includes girls scout Thin Mints cookies, mint chocolate chip ice cream, mint fudge...you get the point.  So this recipe is near and dear to me bc it contains one of my favorite ingredients.  I've made these little sandwiches for all sorts of get togethers and they have been a hit every time.  With the holidays right around the corner, try making these at your next gathering and I promise your guests won't be let down!

Ingredients:
1/2 pack of whole grain or white bread
salted butter - room temperature
1 English cucumber peeled and thinly sliced
2 TBSP + a little more of Salt
10-12 fresh mint leaves
Pepper to taste

Directions:
1.  Peel the cucumber and slice them thinly at an angle (diagonally).
2.  In a separate container, mix the cucumber slices and 2 TBSP of salt and let it sit there for 10-15 minutes.  (Here's a little trick I use, I put the cucumber slices in the container, add the salt, cover the container and shake it so that I don't have to mix anything)
3.  In the mean while, using a mini food processor or coffee grinder, grind the mint leaves.
4.  Once the cucumbers are done, squeeze out all the water that was released,  and place the cucumbers on a paper towel and wipe them dry and take off the access salt.
5.  Spread butter on a slice of bread, place cucumbers on top, spread a bit of the ground up mint, sprinkle some salt and pepper, and top with another buttered slice of bread.
6.  Cut off the edges of the bread and cut the sandwich diagonally so that it forms into 4 triangular pieces.  (Because I hate to waste food, I use the discarded edges to make croutons at home - if you want that recipe, leave a comment on this page and I'll put it up for you)

Enjoy with tea, coffee, or your favorite beverage!


No comments:

Post a Comment