Sunday, February 23, 2014

Spiced Tofu Scramble

In case I haven't already mentioned it, one of my favorite foods of all time is breakfast.  I love it so much that I often eat breakfast items for "brinner" as I like to call it (breakfast for dinner).  I also love having friends and family over for brunch just so I have an excuse to cook breakfast.  One of the staples of my breakfast spread is a great tofu scramble.  The thing I really like about it is that its so versatile- I can use it in my breakfast burritos and /or serve it by itself so it ends up as two separate items, and that is exactly what I did this past weekend when I had a few friends over for brunch.  

Krishma also has a great tofu scramble recipe up but mine is just a bit different because of the spices I use.  Any way you decide to enjoy this scramble, I hope it is as big of a hit in your house as it is in ours! 

Ingredients:
1 TBSP EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 (8 oz) pack of extra firm tofu - be sure to get the organic, non GMO kind
1/2 roma tomato chopped
1/2 cup bell peppers (any color you like; I used 1/4 cup yellow & 1/4 cup red)
Handful of chopped mushrooms
1/8 - 1/4 tsp turmeric (I used a little less than 1/4 tsp) 
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp dried rosemary
1 sprig fresh oregano or a pinch of Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt
Pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Hot sauce or salsa (optional)
Black beans (optional)

Directions:
1.  Heat EVOO in a pan over low to medium heat. 
2.  Crumble tofu in a strainer and let water steep out.
3.  Add mushroom, peppers, Italian seasoning, rosemary, oregano to oil and cook for a couple of minutes (until the veggies look sautéed and the water has evaporated).
4.  Add tofu, turmeric, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, and remaining spices and stir until everything is mixed well together. 
5.  Stir in tomatoes & beans if you're using them. 
6.  Cover and cook for roughly 15-20 minutes until firm. 
7.  Serve with hot sauce or salsa.
Serving Size - 2



No comments:

Post a Comment