Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Island Inspired Coffee

Happy Tuesday friends! I hope y'all are enjoying this switch over to the fall-ish weather as much as I am on this first day of autumn.  It's so nice not to hit 100 degrees but let's be honest, it is Texas so you know, it still gets pretty warm during the day; which is why today's recipe is perfect & hits the spot during the afternoon hours.

My husband and I recently went on a vacation to Hawaii & I have been feeling very island-y since.  Hawaii is known for various things but one of the things it is renowned for is Kona Coffee.  During our stay on the island of Oahu, my husband and I found this lovely coffee shop called Island Vintage Coffee, where I had THE best coconut & coffee blended drink. EVER.  Needless to say, because I didn't want my vacation to end, I decided to bring back as much of the islands as I could & purchased a Kona Coffee mix from there in an effort to recreate this heavenly drink.  Below is my rendition of this island treasure.  I hope you do try it at home and enjoy it as much as my husband (who is not a fan of coffee btw but requests this drink daily) and I do.  It is a MUST try at home & trust me, you will be glad you did!

Ingredients:
5 TBSP Kona Mocha Mix* (found here)
5 oz coconut milk
12 oz crushed ice
1-2 pumps coconut syrup (optional)
whipped cream (optional)
toasted coconut flakes (optional for garnish)

Directions:
1.  In a blender, place crushed ice, coconut milk, & Kona mix
2.  Blend on medium to high speed until everything has been thoroughly mixed and blended.
3.  Enjoy!

*Directions on the Kona coffee mix state to use 8 TBSP of powder, which you can, but you will quickly discover that the mix will disappear a lot sooner if you do.  I played around with the recipe and found that adding 5 TBSP of the mix in place of the 8 is equally as good.  You can also use a combination of an instant coffee/sugar mixture if you don't want to purchase the Mocha Mix.








No comments:

Post a Comment