Sunday, September 1, 2013

Afghan & Goat Cheese Pizza

Happy Labor Day weekend friends! I hope everyone is have a fabulous weekend and enjoying their nice long weekend...I know I have been.  We celebrated the official "kick off" of football season yesterday and my family could not be happier.  Today's recipe is perfect for a busy night when you need something quick or it can be enjoyed in bite size portions at your next tail gate or watch party.  No matter when you make it, it is sure to be a big hit!  Try it at your next bash and let us know how it turned out...we would love to hear from you!

Ingredients:
1 flat piece of Afghan Bread (I typically found in the bakery area of my local grocery store) or focaccia bread  
4-5 TBSP pesto sauce 
1 Roma tomato cut in round slices 
Your favorite toppings (I used black olives, yellow bell peppers, jalapeños, & mushrooms)
Roughly 1/2 pack of goat cheese (I think it comes in an 8 oz pack & is cylindrical in shape)
1/4-1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used a mixture of colby & monterey jack) 
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) - enough to brush the edges of the bread

Directions:
1.  Preheat ove to 425 degrees.
2.  Spread an even layer of pesto on the bread.
3.  Brush the edges of the pizza with the olive oil. 
4.  Add a few toppings on the pizza.
5.  Add shredded cheese but keep it very light.
6.  Add remaining toppings.
7.  Add bits of goat cheese all over the pizza.**
8.  Bake in middle rack of the oven for about 7-8 minutes or until the bread is a golden brown on the top and bottom.
9.  Broil on high heat for about 2-3 minutes after it is done cooking/ baking.
10.  Cut in bite size pieces if you're serving as an appetizer or as a "finger food".  
11.  Enjoy! 


** Remember goat cheese is very strong in taste and also very fattening so I tend to use it sparingly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment