Sunday, November 24, 2013

Chocolate Breakfast Quinoa

Happy Sunday all! I hope everyone had a great weekend & is as ready for this upcoming week as I am.  This week's recipe is one that was inspired from a fitness magazine article.  I actually made it a few weeks back and it turned out OK…I wasn't thrilled with the results but if made with a couple of alterations, it would be a lot better.  Initially, I cooked the quinoa with milk but next time, I will use water because the milk gave it a funny after taste.  I would also recommend using sweetened coconut flakes & toasted almond slivers so that it gives it more of a nutty taste and a nice little crunch.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup raw quinoa
1 - 1 & 1/4 cup water
Dash of sea salt
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp honey
2 TBSP sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 tsp vanilla extract  
Sliced almonds
A couple of drops of peppermint extract

Directions:
1.  Bring water to a boil and add quinoa & sea salt.
2.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook quinoa until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
3.  Remove quinoa from stove place in a bowl.
4.  Add vanilla & peppermint extracts, cocoa powder, honey, coconut flakes, & almonds and mix.
5.  Enjoy!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment